Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Off Day

Ever had a day you just didn't feel quite right? I had a day like that a few weeks ago. My clothes did not even fit right. Of course after I had time to go to the ladies room about 10:30am I discovered my pants were on backwards. (I had dressed in the dark so my husband could sleep because I was going to the office earlier than normal.) This can happen with side zipper pants and elastic waist pants...If it happens with front zipper pants, call your pastor, you need help. Just kidding.

It was pitch black this morning as I was going out to feed the birds, my feet felt weird, I looked down I had on a shoe from each pair of my house shoes. What are the odds, I walk to my closet and in the dark, find the pink right shoe and the left grey shoe?

I think our Christian walk can be like wearing mismatched shoes. We want to grow in the Lord and truly serve Him with our whole heart, but cares of the world and or idols are calling. Some cares call loudly in the form of a toddler, idols are more insidious, whispering our name until we have opened the door wide and have a full blown idol in our life. Or maybe we are crippled by fear or the side of effects of idolatry. As I mentioned yesterday, if you are not doing the No Other Gods study, (and if you are) ask the Lord to convict you of any idolatry you have in your life. You may idolize a person and not even realize it which could lead to other sins such as envy, coveting their home, or life style. Satan doesn't stop when you let him in the door with idolatry, other sins begin to walk in the door when the idol is in your house. For example in my case, food became an idol somewhere along the way and as a result I am 50 lbs overweight. I am now working on losing the excess weight.

Stand firm on the Word and your covenant promises, don't look back at the idol (think pillar of salt) keep your eyes on Jesus. The Bible says:

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.

But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God."

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.

Have a blessed day. I am going to change a shoe.

3 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Too funny about your clothes. Great analogy here! I can so relate. I always love your scriptures!

annette said...

Well, it's one o'clock and you are my first stop as I turn on my computer. I sure can relate to getting off on the wrong foot, being double minded, just trying to hang one hand onto the world, and that is not the way God calls us. THANK YOU for the book. I got it yesterday. I can't wait to read it. Blessings abundant, oldA :)

Wendy said...

Oh, I can relate to dressing in the dark so hubby can sleep. I did that and wore a t-shirt iside out! However, I did catch myself before leaving the house. Too funny about your shoes!