Thursday, July 17, 2008

Barking Dogs & Alarm Clocks

I was up earlier than normal this morning thanks to a neighbor's barking dog. She (the dog not the neighbor) is still at it 1 1/2 hours later. I wonder if my neighbors are out of town, their dog rarely barks. She (again the dog) may have treed a squirrel or possum. As a result of the barking, I did not have to rely on the alarm going off at 5:15a.m. I was up earlier and have spent some time in the Word and will be in prayer shortly.

A thought crossed my mind this morning as I was pouring a cup of coffee. When we realize the freedom we have in Christ and that we are yoked to Him, it makes it easier to toss idols out of our lives but not necessarily to keep them out of our lives. Galations 5 says: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselfs be burdened again by the yoke of slavery. This tells me that satan will most likely wait a while and then try the same old thing again to entrap us and make us miserable. Like a former smoker who listens to the whispers of satan and decides she can smoke just 1 cigarette and before she knows it, she has to begin the process of quitting all over again. We know he roams the earth like a devouring lion looking for prey which is us. If he can't get us with new stuff, he'll go back to the old.

Sisters we know the Lord is more powerful than anything the father of lies can throw at us, we need to wear are armor and keep our minds renewed in the Word of God. Romans 12 says:

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Time for prayer. I pray we serve the Lord with a cheerful heart today.

8 comments:

annette said...

I join you in your prayer. Standing firm against the devils wiles. Sorry about your early wake up with the noise, but sounds like you used that time well. Love, Annette

Abba's Girl said...

I have great neighbors on both sides, this dog is usually so quiet you forget she is there. I could tell she wasn't barking at someone but at something.

I read several more pages of The Shack. I may finish it this weekend.

MITZI said...

I needed your comment today. Thanks for the encouragement.

Karen said...

I have been pondering the eviction of idols vs. their return lately as well. (reminds me of the asparagus fern...) Perhaps God is preparing us for the next step. I'll be praying that your day goes smoothly since you had less than normal sleep!

blessings,
karen

Paula V said...

satan is a bad boy for sure. He tries to lure us over and over yes. He does know our weaknesses but we know our strength and that is in Christ, the King and the most powerful of all!

luvmy4sons said...

You have the gift of exhortation. Thank you!

Linda said...

It's true Annette. I sometimes feel as though I am taking one step forward and two steps back. I'm so thankful for mercy and forgiveness.
Isn't it amazing how long a dog can bark? You'd think they would get weary of it. Heaven knows everyone else does.

Cheryl Barker said...

Annette, what you said about the enemy and his tactics is so true. Am so thankful that "greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world."