Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ethics

Do you have good ethics in all areas of your life or have you let some things slide? I know I had a bad situation with a business partner who is a Christian. Because of my fear which is a sin and the fact he is Christian, I let it go on too long and it really came back to slap me in the face last Thursday afternoon. The Lord worked out a big part of the problem for me Monday afternoon. I still need wisdom and clarity on what to do with the rest of it.

I know my husband is frequently asked by Christians for a reduced rate or to cut costs and not do a job to code which is not a good Christian witness.

25 years ago, I worked with someone who felt justified in taking all kinds of office supplies home because he thought he deserved more pay, though he had agreed to his salary.

I know someone who for years routinely wore nice clothes to an event and returned them. Somehow she returned a rabbit fur coat worn by child A for a year; and then her child B when child A outgrew it. Since she bought it, she returned it after her child outgrew it. The coat had been worn for 2 winter seasons and someone bought it as new at a store in the Galleria. The woman would disagree to this day she did anything unethical.

We have seen what happens in ministries when someone crosses the line once with something little and then crosses it big times. Remember PTL? Many of the unsaved remember it today and as a result denounce all television ministries.

There are all kinds of examples out there of Christians not acting in an ethical manner. Unsaved people are watching. How does that type of behavior speak to them? The Lord just gave me this, so I am adding to the post. The unsaved watch Christians gossip and carry on ungodly conversations. Please ask the Lord to convict you if you need a good mouthwash! The unsaved also watch when Christians laugh at coarse remarks or jokes and when they repeat off colour jokes. Again, ask the Lord to convict you in these areas. Telling a risque joke or making an off colour remark is not being the light Jesus has called us to be.

We must be on guard at all times to be honest and ethical. As my blogging sister Connie says, we might be the only Bible someone sees today. We must be the salt and the light. We do not conform to the things of the world; we take Jesus to the world. Ask the Holy Spirit where you have let “Babylon” creep in, where are you conforming to the world instead of the Lord.

Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.”

No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light. For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.
So go out today, serve the Lord and be a light for the world to see.

5 comments:

Karen said...

So many times I struggle with the behavior of those who come in our christian book store. I think christians forget that nonchristians shop there too and the Jesus they see represented may not be the Jesus they want to be a part of. (Of course, to be perfectly honest, sometimes we as employees don't represent Christ very well either.) Over the past few years, I have become more and more aware of the picture that we present to those who do not know Him. It's good to hear from others who are thinking the same thing.

blessings,
karen

Oh, thank you for blessing me with the award. I will follow the directions and pass it along shortly. :) (and I've missed you the past few days. Glad you are posting again! Or maybe you have been and I've just lost my mind.)

Abba's Girl said...

I went out of town for part of the weekend and didn't post.

luvmy4sons said...

What a great exhortation! Thank you sister!

connie said...

Annette,
You are so right, I strive to show only Gods love to others, I slip sometimes, but I try to focuse on it daily... I love to talk to and engage with people at work, I have found some of the most delightful people there...
I started using that saying back in Utah, when I wanted the people around me to see something different, it opens doors and softens hearts... I am praying for you...
Connie
GBU

Sherry said...

Amen! The Ten Commandments and the "Golden Rule" were given to us for a reason. We aren't to just witness but rather BE a witness. There's a big difference.

Thank you for sharing your heart.

Blessings,
Sherry