Friday, July 11, 2008

Delight

I talked to my aunt yesterday; it was wonderful to speak with her. She lives England. I really miss seeing her in person, but e-mail is better than nothing! I told her I would post a picture of her taken at work, it’s awful. Her grandson took it, something is wrong with the colour. Her hair looks really yellow. She said my hair is not that colour, I said I know because no one would pay money for that colour. So I will be nice and not post the picture, but you can find it on www.c4w.org, she is an elder of the church, Ginny Reid. My cousin Virginia and her husband Robert pastor the church. It’s a wonderful church. I just listened to Robert’s latest Sunday morning sermon, he talked about what our homes are supposed to be.

If you are doing the No Other Gods study, have you been convicted by what you let in your home because of any false god which may be in your life? We talked about what we let into our homes via the TV and secular music during Bible study the other night.

We must be careful and watch what we feed our souls via the TV, music, games, reading etc. I watch a show on A & E that is not Christian in the least called The Sopranos, it’s so life like, well acted blah blah blah but it is violent. I have weeded out the sitcoms with sexual innuendos, but do I really need to watch The Sopranos? TV is not all bad, but it can become an idol quickly and fill our time and keep us from thinking and spending time in the Word and with the Lord.

The Bible says:

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

I believe when we delight ourselves in the Lord, our heart is transformed and our desires become more pure. I find myself in tears some days as I do the NOG’s Study, I am also very humbled when I look at the idolatry I have allowed full access into my life. But I praise Jesus, because through Him I repent and am reconciled to my Abba Father.

Delight yourself in the Lord today!

4 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

So many choices in this world! Sometimes we must give up even what is good in order to choose the best. It can be so hard...and when I get weary I am prone not to be as diligent. Thank you for the exhortation!

Karen said...

That lesson really spoke to my heart as well. Although I try to police what I watch, I find myself justifying certain programs because I enjoy them too much. And I am very aware that I get so wrapped up in tv (or books) that I rush my time in the Word sometimes. I think a lot about the statement that just because something is good does not always mean that it is good for you at this moment. There's a lot of truth in that.

blessings,
karen

Paula V said...

Oh, this reminds me of the piece on did on Delight in the Lord. If you look in my archives you'll probably find it in April or May.

Wendy said...

Annette - you are beautiful, just as you are - a child of God. And God only makes good.