Thursday, May 30, 2019

Thinking Back - 1986

I was telling a friend a story about the time my husband accompanied me to the Indianapolis 500, my dad had gone up a day early to spend extra time with his brother and sister-in-law and eat a few extra White Castle burgers. I never acquired a taste for them. The race was rained out that weekend. My dad flew back to Indianapolis several days later to attend it. I could not afford a second trip up there so I grudgingly gave my tickets to my cousin who lived within driving distance of Indianapolis. He would enjoy the race with my aunt and uncle (his parents) and my dad. He thought it was very nice of me to give him the tickets. On the surface, it looked nice but in my heart, I was still trying to figure out a way to afford another airplane ticket for me - not my husband and me - just me to Indianapolis. I, of course, would stay with my aunt and uncle for free. 

I am sure I was a little huffy as I sat in southeast Texas watching the race on TV while my cousin sat in "my seat". I did not care that my aunt was sitting in my husband's seat. It was about me and my wishes. I was over it a few days later. Only the Lord knows how much energy I wasted on the poor me, I am not in Indianapolis thing. 

It never occurred to me my thoughts and words were not godly in the least. So many verses and passages applied to me over that week in 1986. Here are a few in the ESV that come to mind:

Proverbs 4:23-24 Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life. Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you. 

Psalm 19:14  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lordmy rock and my redeemer.

James 1:26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

James 3:5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!

I certainly hope at this stage of life if I flew to Indianapolis to attend the Indy 500 and it was rained out, I would behave with grace and not sin with my thoughts and words. 

We learn a lot about our walk with Christ when life's little disappointments happen, do we flip out or live out the Gospel? My hope is I live out the Gospel. 



No comments: