Thursday, January 17, 2019

New Day

A few hours after my last blog post, my mother tripped and broke her hip. It has been a hard week for her, due to Alzheimer's she forgets it is broken and doesn't understand why she is no longer at home.

I've signed so much paperwork, I may have signed away one of my dog's kidneys. Tomorrow I will take an orchid plant to the hospital where she stayed several days. The nurses and CNAs were excellent at their job and poured out love and compassion on her.

Today she will be transferred from a skilled care facility to an Alzheimer's community.

So now, I must clean out her house which will take me for quite a ride down memory lane and prepare it to be a rental house. I must be wise in what to keep, donate, and discard.

I also will learn how not to schedule my day around her needs and what if she needs mentality. As the demands increased over the last 10 years, and her life became more and more narrow so did mine, I didn't realize how much so until it dawned on me last night I had not seen her or talked to her in 24 hours. I can become reacquainted with friends in real life and take a road trip at some point this year. I think there is an extrovert buried deep inside just waiting to get out and re-engage with society.

A new season in 2019. We know there are trials but we also know there is joy. I think I've been tested somewhat, I think I produced steadfastness, and I choose joy.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.

5 comments:

annette said...

Bless you as you go through so many trials and memories and changes. You have been a faithful daughter and will continue to be. Your mother is a blessed woman to have you there for her. I can't imagine the letting go that you have experienced, not just recently but over the last years.

As you find your new place and can rest knowing she is well taken care of, I pray you can find peace, knowing it's now not 100% on your shoulders.

I'll be praying for you in this transition. I hope we can get together soon!

Abba's Girl said...

Thank you, dearest Annette, sweet sister in Christ. I would love to get together soon!

Wendy said...

Everything that Annette said!

I can relate to this post somewhat. Not with a mother, but when my husband was ill with lung disease. His mind was just fine - it wasn't that, it was the "what if" scenario played out in my mind every time I left the house. Would he run out of oxygen while I was out having my hair done? Would he have a heart attack and I'd find him on the floor while I was babysitting my grandchildren or having lunch with a friend. Oh, it was awful.

But - I chose to be with him, my dear, loving, wonderful husband. It's just such a hard journey. I remember too that feeling of "letting go" when he was in hospital. Well looked after. Plenty of oxygen that would never run out.

Anyway, all that to say, yes, dear friend, let that extrovert out! Time to focus on your loving, inner being - the spirit that God gave you to grow and share blessings with the earth.

Cloudia said...

Glad you have faith to keep yourself in health and abundance even as you handle these heavy tasks. God Bless You!

Jane P Henderson said...

I so relate to every word. I hope we can finally meet for lunch this year, an alarm thing that has been on my reminders for several years. Each week my phone sends out a little reminder to me to call you to schedule our lunch and every week I hhave hit the snooze on the reminder for the next week. I have never closed it out. It ihas been a pleasant and constant reminder to me that you are a very good friend who is out there praying for me & I for you. I’m with you my friend, heart ❤️ & soul. Love, Lisa Sneed