Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Challenging January

Over the weekend my mother was hospitalized again. Sunday it became evident to the doctors, it was time to make a decision regarding my mother's future. I made the painful but correct decision to put her in hospice care at the Alzheimer's facility. 

For over 10 years, I've pushed, pleaded, cajoled, organized, scheduled, and "controlled" major portions of her life as Alzheimer's grip increased. With hospice, she is being made comfortable and I am once more her daughter. 

She said I want to go, I told her when He calls you by name go. Since my mother is from another generation my husband told her how much he loves her and not to worry, he would take care of me. 
She smiled and said thank you and I love you too. 

Yesterday her BFF Karen and I read a few of her favorite passages from Psalms and various books in the New Testament. I will share one now, Psalm 121, from the ESV:


lift up my eyes to the hills.
    From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved;
    he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
    the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all evil;
    he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep
    your going out and your coming in
    from this time forth and forevermore.


I'll say goodbye to her soon but rest in the comfort I will see her again one day. 


2 comments:

annette said...

In the middle...in the wait, so very hard. He is very near. Continued prayers dear friend!

Wendy said...

Oh Annette - so very hard to witness this. I feel for you.

You gave your Mom the best advice you could "when He calls your name, go"
Sending prayers for you and your mother.