Friday, February 1, 2019

Overjoyed

Wednesday my mother was too weak to sip water through a straw, we gave it to her by the spoonful. Yesterday, she was dressed sitting in a wheelchair, drinking OJ from a small glass and she ate a small serving of Jello. I was thrilled beyond words. She was wearing a 2 piece velour outfit I bought her just after moving her to the Alzheimer's community. She asked me to go find it in blue and told me to go to work. 

So...I went to work and I will look for the outfit in blue at lunch today. I am not a "shopper" but I will gladly shop for her. It will be nice to do something normal. I also made a hair appointment to get a couple of highlights during my extended lunch hour today. I mean what self-respecting Native Texan woman lets her roots go during a medical crisis???  (Maybe I'll watch Steel Magnolias tonight.)

Once again I read more of her favorite passages and Psalms. A hospice worker read to her yesterday. The CNA's are so kind to her. I am feeling much better about decisions I've made since she was discharged from the hospital the 1st time.

I was truly overjoyed yesterday at the improvement but I realize I cannot make too much of it. This weekend will be filled with mundane, normal life activities. Laundry, weeding flower beds, and for the 1st time in several weeks - a church service. Next week, I'll resume packing up her house and listing it with a realtor. 

Meanwhile, I'll try hard to live one day at a time.








1 comment:

Wendy said...

Yes Annette - one day at a time. I am so glad to see you feeling overjoyed at your Mom's progress. We celebrate the good days and somehow get through the bad.

I can so relate to doing something normal, like getting your streaks done and shopping for your Mom. I hope you find her blue outfit!

Actually, I had my streaks done today too! I was long overdue, but here is so cold, and we've had bad snow days where I won't get into the car and go anywhere.
Still cold today, but I was determined to get my hair streaked and cut. At least it was sunny outdoors and the driving was fine.

Bless you Annette. Your mother is lucky to have you for a daughter.