Wednesday, February 13, 2019

My Mother

My mother died peacefully in her sleep Sunday night. My real mother was gone a long time ago due to Alzheimer's Disease, but I still loved the woman left in her place.

I am so thankful she is no longer suffering. I am beginning to relax a little and not jump when the phone rings and can turn off my phone if I so choose for the 1st time since 2007.

My job as caretaker is done. The to-do list is long but manageable.

And because I am keeping a few items of hers, pictures, china, 4 pieces of furniture, I will pare down my belongings further as I transfer things from her house to mine.

I picked up the Diet Coke habit again, beginning the day she broke her hip. I will stop drinking them next Monday. I've also consumed pounds of sugar in the last 5 weeks as well. Low sugar diet begins next Monday. I may not be fit for polite society next week!

Arrangements for her service are made. The funeral home and church want a picture of her, no one seemed to listen as I said she would not want a picture attached to her obit or bulletin at church.

The mental fatigue lifted a bit yesterday. There are still tears ahead. My faith in the Lord will sustain me. We can take comfort in His Word.

Psalm 23 in the ESV

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.[a]
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness[b]
    for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,[c]
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely[d] goodness and mercy[e] shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell[f] in the house of the Lord
    forever.[g]








1 comment:

Wendy said...

My sincere condolences on your mother's passing. Yes, there is relief mixed in, but the tears will be there for some times.

Blessings to you.