Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Comfort

The Lord has recently put a former student of mine back in my life. It is a joy to see the adult woman of God she has become. A wonderful wife, mother, and minister.

She recently suffered a tremendous loss which led me to think about losses I have experienced in my almost 47 years on this planet as well as losses good friends have experienced. I know many times when I tried to verbalize my feelings, I was interupted by people who either told me how to solve my problem with grief (stay busy, don't dwell on it) or told me about their worse loss and I should count myself lucky.

As Christians we should listen, offer advice when asked, and stay in prayer for the person who is hurting. People usually don't want you to fix it for them, they want someone to listen. I have a dear person in my life who rarely lets me finish a sentence and does not realize what I am about to say, she assumes she knows what I will say and jumps in telling me what to do. I love this person, but cannot really have in depth conversations with her any longer.

The Bible tells that God wants to comfort us. There are many verses which confirm this. I chose a few for the post:

Ps 119:50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

Isa 49:13 Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

Matt 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

II Cor 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort

Our Father pours out His comfort. He restores our joy. He revives our soul. Turn to Him. Let Him lavish His love on you.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Hey...love you!
You make me smile and think of God. I love how the Word of God is always ready on your lips.
I want to follow that example.

Anonymous said...

"Being listened to is so close to being loved that most people cannot tell the difference." (-:

Anonymous said...

I think we all should listen more than we talk. "That's why we have two ears and one mouth..." :) (of course, this is coming from the one who always has a comment to spare!)