Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Letting Go...

It’s time to say goodbye to an old friend, my 1990 Kenmore washing machine, we bought it just before our friend’s baby Blake was born in January of 1990, which is how remember it’s age. It has sprung a leak which my husband says cannot be repaired. He is going to buy a new washing machine this week. (I hope it’s not my birthday present, I want a reel mower.)

The machine is old and outdated, but I know how to work it in a comatose state. No thinking involved. That’s how bad habits or besetting sins can be in our lives. Maybe we think about them and repent and then sin again, maybe we lug them around like an old friend, maybe we have swept them under the carpet and never think about them because it’s not like we are out there murdering people. But sin is sin is sin is sin.

The Bible tells us:

You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your presence. (Newsflash - they aren’t a secret!)

If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Sin weights us down and hinders us.)

About 4 years ago, I forgave my mother-in-law after she made a remark excusing sexual abuse of children which took place under her nose and with her knowledge, I then became angry with her again and judged her, then I forgave her, then I cycled into sin again and was like a gerbil on a wheel – forgive/angry/forgive/angry. The phone would ring and I saw the hospital name on the caller ID and I would not answer it, nor would my husband. It took a lot of prayer to really forgive her. I never got the love back I had for her before the truth came out, something broke inside of me. I asked the Lord to fill me with His love for her, He did, but I never got the family type love I had for her back. I really prayed for her to love her children as she should and for there to be wholeness in our relationship with her before she died. That didn’t happen, but through the Lord and His grace I could love her with a Christ like love.

I looked & acted like a child of God during the cycle of sin, but the Lord knew the true state of my heart and it was not pretty. Only 2 people knew about the remark she made and why I was so angry, I let others assume it was the way she treated my husband which factored into my anger as well. I was just as much in sin as she had been while children were being sexually abused. Her sin just sounds worse. The Bible tells us be angry, sin not…however I was angry and sinning big time. I judged, criticized, and excuse the language, just plain bitched to 1 of my sister in laws over and over and over – picture gerbil on the wheel again.

I am so thankful the Lord did a big work and me and anger is no longer a besetting sin which weighs me down. I carried it around for nearly 2 years. I am now praying and really working on not eating too much and exercising too little as I have gained 25 lbs this year and was already 30 lbs overweight in January. I want to be a healthy child of God, whole in Christ Jesus. He will help me conquer this sin and He will help you conquer besetting sin in your life too, just ask Him. Through Christ we can run the race free of the hindrances which weigh us down.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Sin looks so ugly when we wear it. And I'm not talking about weight gain. I'm talking about the sin that I get up everyday and put on. The LORD has recently shown me that sin in a mirror and it is so ugly. I don't want to wear it any more.

I'll be praying for you and ask that you pray for me.
blessings,
karen

Abba's Girl said...

I will be in prayer for you. I really let it all hang out in this post, was kinda worried I would offend people.

Annette

Angela Baylis said...

I will pray for both of you and hope you'll pray for me. I use food for emotional reasons when I am upset. Annette, have you heard Beth Moore's conference on "The Lord God Made Women"? You can download it. It was taped in Las Vegas and I really enjoyed it. I had my brother and his wife listen to it and they enjoyed it. I don't want to wear sin anymore, either!
Much love to you!
Angie xoxo

p.s. I appreciated your honesty on this post! :)

Abba's Girl said...

Hey Ang, I have identified I over eat when I am bored and when I am stressed...I will take a look at the download. I do not have a MP3 player, will see how I can listen to it. (I must have been really bored and stressed this year!)

Love to you and Karen! I'll be in prayer for both of you.

We want to put on love and wear our armor...

MITZI said...

Thanks for sharing and letting it hang out Annette. There have always been secrets in my house of origin and all my life I've been a secretive person about myself. I saw Beth at a living proof live a couple of months ago and she mentioned people who are "emotional voyeurs." I was horrified to realize that I am one. She described this kind of person as one who you can talk to about yourself and leave them and realize that you know nothing about them. Forever I've found it hard to share of myself let alone the personal things about myself and my background. Anyway, to make a long story short, I don't want to be that person anymore. I want to let others into my life. That's why I started my blog. I want to be real with people. I want God to remove the walls i put up to keep people away. Thank you Annette for openness.

Abba's Girl said...

Mitzi, Some walls are built by children as protection...but when the walls are built by adults or maintained by adults they are quite destructive. I see that in the healing ministry quite often. I have to be open and real, even when it's not pretty.

Annette