Monday, June 2, 2008

Asparagus Fern

Since my father was hospitalized for 5 1/ 2 months this year beginning in early January, I never got to the big spring yard clean up. I didn’t prune, our shrubs are shaggy…some will remain shaggy because birds have nests in them which I do not want to disturb. I suppose I should name this post: It’s still a jungle out there…

I left an asparagus fern in the ground all winter that popped up in a flowerbed; it had berries so I left it for the birds. Two weeks ago, I began to dig it up to transplant it. I could not dig it up to save my life. I normally don’t use poisons in my yard, but it was hot and I was desperate, I drove over to Home Depot and bought Round Up. I cut the fern back and sprayed it…I sprayed it a lot. It began to die. I thought yes, and tried to dig it up again on Memorial Day. I could not get it all. Yesterday I went out to water, I almost fell down in shock, that darn thing is sprouting green again and growing. See picture to the right....

I thought that's how deep I need to plant the Word of God in my spirit. His word says:

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.

Jesus replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

As many churches and people fall away from the word of God, strive to hide more and more of it in your hearts. Sow His word deep….it is vital…

2 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

AMEN!

Karen said...

I love the thought of sowing His word so deep that no poison can remove it. Or deter it from accomplishing its purpose.

Great word picture, but I still hope you can get rid of the fern!