Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Jesus said, "You are my friends if you do what I command."

Do you remember as a young child coming home from school very excited because you had a new friend? I say young child, because in 5th or 6th grade I began to dislike school, by 7th grade I had determined it cut into my telephone time and time in the ballet studio...homework when I could be practicing grande jetes...please...

I had several good friends in the neighborhood - Kim, Cari, Jenise & Allison, many of us walked to and from Andy Anderson Elementary together...this was before my parents felt the need for me to attend a Christian school and I was enrolled in St Thomas' Episcopal School. I met Lori at ballet when we were three, I was so excited that she was in my kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade classes. Sandy lived across the street, she is 5 or 6 years older than me, I looked to her as the model way to dress and behave. Even her Barbie dolls were better attired than mine. I have mentioned before, Sandy taught me many things, because she loved things, I loved them, pepperoni pizza, red velvet cake, O Jay's Beauty Lotion, Go Go boots and Sweet Tarts. I remember we both wanted a tiara, sadly they went out of style, so I had to settle for crowns and headpieces to wear on stage. (At least I had my long, blonde fall!)

At some point there would be an argument between Kim and I or Cari and Jenise, it was inevitable...so we would not "be friends" with someone for a day or 2.

Then the next phase of life comes, jr high and high school. We could be so mean to each other during those years. Lots of gossip, lots of judgment, lots of ungodly behavior.

Friendships have high and low points, sometimes it's because of a season of life, ill parents, a sick child, a sick marriage, all kinds of reasons. But I am glad to say, we have one friendship which will never fail. Our friendship with Jesus Christ, our Risen Lord and Savior, He is our friend, He declares it in John 15: 14-15

You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

Read His word, you will then know what He commands. Jesus says -Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. He loves you, He calls you His friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no better friend than Jesus.