Friday, October 18, 2019

Maintaining my Flower Beds

It is that time of year down here, time to cut back summer flowers, fill in areas where the topsoil eroded, plant bulbs - I ordered too many daffodils because they were on sale, plan what winter annuals I want to plant next month, and pull weeds which sprang up after tropical storm Imelda. It is also cool enough to prune shrubs, they have not been pruned since May and need a good trim.

Just like the flower beds, our spiritual lives require maintenance. If I look honestly at my spiritual life, I realize my prayer life has been a little sparse over the last 3 weeks. I am not giving the Lord the first fruits of my time, He's been further down the list. I've been avoiding extended prayer time. Most days I pray for friends, family, and the world, but I've not been sitting quietly before Him or praying for myself. I'm avoiding it because grief hit me hard on my mother's birthday at the end of September and there are residual emotions from being a caretaker for 10 years as opposed to her daughter.

Many people think she died 8 months ago, get over it as if we can wave a magic wand and switch off our emotions.  Or better yet stuff it down and don't think about it again which does not work either.

And by writing a blog post this morning, I've further delayed sitting quietly before the Lord. Time to wrap up this post, seriously pray, and then go out and sit in the sunshine as I work in the flower beds.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.


No comments: