Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Time

After my brother-in-law's funeral, we gathered in the fellowship hall of his church. Family caught up with one another. I had a short visit with someone I'd not seen in almost 10 years. It was a little awkward as we tried to converse. It seemed I was getting on her nerves and decided it was time to shut my mouth. There were several people at our table who could carry the conversation without my input.

The next day I said goodbye to my dear, friend Patty.

After her service, I reflected on the plans Patty & I had over the last 2 years. Many of the plans never came to pass because she was ill, but some did and I treasure the time we had together. My brother-in-law and I had a few plans that fizzled because of one thing or another.

I found time 2 days in a row to attend funerals, but how often in life have I not made time for family? I want to make sure I make time to spend with family I rarely see. So it begins this December, several of us are going to meet at a restaurant for dinner. Those who can make it will and those who cannot, hopefully will join us the next time.

My prayer is the fractures in my husband's family will heal and once again spending time together will be a joy not something we do because it is the right thing to do.

So here's to brothers, sisters, sister-in-laws, brother-in-laws, nieces, nephews, and cousins...May the grace of Jesus abound in our lives, may we die to self, walk in love and forgiveness, and have healthy relationships from this time forward.

No comments: