Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Forgiveness Exercise

I did this exercise at a conference several years ago, it is powerful, you will be set free from the bondage of unforgiveness. Norma Dearing's father in law, the late Father Dearing taught her this exercise, I have since led many women through it in small groups after teaching on forgiveness...seeing people set free is a beautiful thing!

Part 1: Hold your hands in the air, palms up, hands cupped like you are filling them with water.

Hold up to the Lord all the things a person has done that bother you or has hurt you. Pretend you are stacking them up in your hands. When you are finished with your list, turn your hands over in a symbolic release to the Lord.

Then pray something similar to: Lord Jesus, I give you each one of these things and ask that you take them and pour your love and healing power through them. I thank you, Lord, that you have the power and grace to redeem them. I ask you, Lord to release the pain and hurt that has been involved which each one of these things (List them if you need to do so) that you lift it from ______________(their name)’s heart, mind, and spirit. I ask you to lift the burden of these things from ____________ shoulders. I give all this to you Lord, and trust you to deal with them. Amen

Part 2: Hold your hands in the air again, palms up (same as above) and make a list of things that bother the person your are forgiving about yourself (real or imagined). When done, turn your hands over in a symbolic release to the Lord.

Then pray something similar to: Lord Jesus, I ask you to pour your love and healing power over these things, each and every one of them. I ask you to take them, deal with them, and release them from ____________________. I trust you to heal the hurt and pain. Amen

Part 3: With hands in the air, make a list of your hearts desire for this person. Turn your hands over and release it to the Lord. Pray something similar to:
Lord Jesus, I give person’s name______________ to you, I thank you that you are able to handle him/her better than anyone else. Bring your perfect will for _______________ and let your love pour into ______________ and your healing power flow over ____________. I release him into your care. Amen

Part 4: Hold your hands in the air, make a list of things you would like Jesus to do in your life – now…then turn your hands over and pray something similar to:

Lord, I release these things to you and ask you to pour your love, mercy and grace into them. I thank you that I can and do trust you with these things. Surround me w/ your heavenly angels. Show me once more how much you love me. Amen

No comments: