Tuesday, July 4, 2017

July 4th

June came and went quickly, too quickly. One day it was the last day in May and suddenly it is July 4th! I suppose my days were so similar in June that nothing stood out to me. Many doctor appointments with a loved one on top of 1 appointment for me, the dreaded, annual physical. I say dreaded because the last several years my Vitamin D level has been low. The 1st year it was 7, the next 2 years it reached the 20's...I am happy to say this year it was 79. YAY! What a relief. So as I puffed up with pride, patted myself on the back as the doctor went over the blood panel results with me, the air was let out of my balloon when she gave me the LDL number.  Anyone else old enough to remember the sound of a needle scratching a record? That is the noise I heard in my mind as she gave me the number. Good cholesterol and triglycerides were fine, but the LDL (lousy) was high. So for the next 6 months, I will back off the bacon (allowed on the Whole30 plan) and may begin eating oats again.

Why did I say all this, you ask? It illustrates how in my physical life and spiritual life there is room for improvement.

I will add more vegetables and increase the amount of time I exercise. (Have I mentioned it is hot and I would rather exercise in October?)

Spiritually speaking, I am flatlining as well. As the heat intensifies, I tend to watch movies at night and sleep a little later in the morning. Time to shed the summer, slug mode and get up an hour earlier. Spend quality time with the Lord instead of a rushed 30 minutes or so. Move Bible Study to lunch or evening and quit cramming it in the over coffee each morning, as I watch the clock and think work begins at 7:30 a.m. better finish this section quickly.

I need to follow my own advice and let this verse from Psalm 46 really sink in:

Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!

No comments: