Thursday, August 11, 2016

August Heat

I admit it, Summer has defeated me. It has not been a terrible summer, no extended heatwave, no drought, normal, humid 97-100 degree days. I am listless, I am bored, I have no get up and go to accomplish anything outdoors, and meanwhile the weeds grow in the flower beds. I've made a deal with myself - if I weed the front yard after work tomorrow and finish Saturday morning, I can sit in front of the Tube watching the Olympics as long as I want. We'll see (the royal we of course) if this works.

Have you ever made a deal with God in the same way? Dear Lord, If You ______________________ fill in the blank, I'll ______________ fill in the blank? I used to pray that way as a teen. Dear Lord, keep the lights green so I won't miss curfew and I will not smoke tomorrow or something equally juvenile.

We are not born mature Christians and mature prayer do not pour out of us until we've prayed many prayers. The language does not have to be eloquent a la King James. Pray what is in your heart. Seek the Lord in the quiet. Of course, you can pray anywhere, anytime, but we need private, quiet time without distraction in prayer. Jesus prayed alone, He was busy, yet He made time. The more you pray, the more natural it becomes.

I think of the scenes in War Room in which Elizabeth tried to get comfortable in her closet and is reduced to drinking a soft drink and eating chips. We then see her staying in her closet all night.

There are many prayer needs in this world. People are lost, hurting, ill. Danger and violence all over the planet. How do we combat it? We stay in Word and we pray. We keep our focus on Jesus. I ask Him to give me 20/20 vision so my focus on Him remains sharp. I don't want blurry vision when it comes to our Lord.


So pray this way: Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored, may your kingdom come, may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Ladies: Prayer - Just do it!

No comments: