Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow Day

Those of us in the Houston area waited with great anticipation for a snow day earlier this week. Sadly, we had freezing rain instead and a hard freeze for a couple of days. (Maybe we'll have a snow day next year.)

My husband and a couple of his friends spent the weekend making deer sausage. (I can't wait for all deer related activities to be finished until November. I am sure he has a thing or 2 he wishes were finished on my end too.)

I went to Deer Sausage Central tonight to eat dinner with my husband and a few of our friends. I was amazed at how many people were complaining about being stuck at home from Thursday night through this morning.

What does that say about American society? Being stuck at home...we had rolling blackouts, but didn't lose power for long as many people across the country did. My husband and I spent the time talking, resting, I read, we watched a little TV. Our marriage is not perfect because we are not perfect, but we certainly didn't feel as if we were stuck with one another.

I welcome the extra time with my husband and with the Lord. As for my friends, who are great people, I hope they realize the value of time with the family.

It's OK to be still and know He is God...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, my sister. I agree. We had almost a week of snow and ice in January and I couldn't believe how many people were complaining about being home.

Of course, I work outside the home and loved those days of being with my husband and daughter. No electric outages. We slept, studied God's Word, read books, watched TV and movies. It was wonderful.

I think God gives us those time to remember that there are times when we need to slow down and enjoy the family He has given us. And especially to enjoy our relationship with Him.

Sheryl

Cheryl Barker said...

I'd send you some of our snow if I could! :) We still have several inches on the ground and will be getting more today. Good thing I enjoy being at home, too!