Monday, April 27, 2009

Swine Flu

To my knowledge there has been 1 other Swine Flu outbreak in my life prior to this outbreak. I have noticed many of the articles printed in newspapers across the country as well as articles I read last week on websites seemed more about scaring people than informing people.

Do I think we need to take the possible epidemic seriously? Yes! Do I think we should be shaking in our boots? No! If we have loved ones in a weakened physical state or with a suppressed immune system, we must take extra care when it comes to them.

As of last night, Swine Flu is in TX, OH, KS, NY, Mexico, Canada, Israel, and New Zealand. People are calling for the Texas border to be closed...it's kinda late - you know the cow out of the barn thing. We would have to ground planes, trains, buses, cruise ships, close all businesses, and schools for 7 to 10 days at least to stop the virus from spreading.

If the flu comes to my area, I will resume shopping at the least crowded times, I will eat more meals at home, I will focus more on whole foods like I do during the winter cold/flu season, better nutrition, sleep, hydration, and continue to wash my hands through out the day. I was concerned about bringing viral and bacterial infections to dad, if I had been at the pharmacy, grocery store, any where with crowds, I changed clothes when I got home before I went to visit dad. I also left my shoes by the back door instead of walking through the house in them. Something about walking into the bedroom with shoes that had walked on hospital floors when you heard all the MRSA talk...

I also plan on staying focused on the Lord and not the media and their sensational reporting. Are any of you concerned about the possible epidemic? I know if my father was still alive, I would be concerned about taking him to the doctor and exposing him to people coughing and sneezing in the elevator etc.

Do any of you have concerns about the Swine Flu? If so, are you going to make any lifestyle changes? Do you have advice for those concerned about it?

I say be cautious but do not be afraid. Psalm 91 is a great psalm to pray over yourself and your loved ones:


1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

I dwell in the shelter of the Most High, I rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say [b] of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

I declare the Lord is my refuge and my fortress. I trust my God.

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

God will save me from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

God covers me with His feathers, I will take refuge under His wings. His faithfulness is my shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

I will not fear the terror of night or the arrows that fly by day.

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,nor the plague that destroys at midday.

I will not fear the pestilence that stalks in the darkness or the plague that destroys at midday.

If you have Scripture you pray over yourself and your loved ones, please share it with us.

Love, Annette

10 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

A well balanced and timely post! We need some prudence and discretion along with a confidence tht our God reigns! I like your approach and loved your scriptures. "At what time I am afraid I will trust in Thee." And when my boys would have nightmares in the night we would say aloud, "It is finished." We must remember who is victorious! And it is Jesus! Have a great day and I hope they don't close down Texas for your sake!

Abba's Girl said...

So far only 1 school district is closed for a week. I just read Spain has 1 confirmed case of Swine Flu. Caution and wisdom is what we need, not fear!

Cheryl Barker said...

I'm wondering if they will start offering vaccinations. If so, I'll probably get one...

annette said...

Basic good sense--I like your list of being cautious, but no need to fear. He has us in His Hands. Our days were numbered from before we were born. Glad to see some reasonable concepts connected with this story. Love, Annette G

twinkle said...

Amen! Scaring instead of informing! I know they are walking a tightrope on "warning" the public because these things can fizzle out so fast instead of becoming the "OUTBREAK" they predict. But it is nice to know to be cautious. Not afraid.
I'm a little like the Israelis who find the "Swine" flu an offensive name. I would HATE to die of "Swine" flu. Not to make light of it...but what an icky name.
Thanks for the precautions you mentioned. Good, sound advice, I think.

Karen said...

I believe that we are in the Lord's hands (I will trust and not be afraid) and that nothing about this will catch Him unaware (He is my strength and my song. Isaiah 12:2). While I believe that the media seems to want a pandemic, I know who is my salvation in time of distress (Isaiah 33:2). The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him (Lamentations 3:24-25)so rather than walk in fear, I choose to remember that the Lord comes to the rescue each time. (Psalm 34:19) See, all this memorization is a wonderful thing!

Praying that you stay healthy (and that He will strengthen your frame.(Isaiah 58:11) :)

love,
karen

Wendy said...

I am not afraid. There is always something in the news to frighten us. Swine flu, West nile virus, SARS, toxic plastic water bottles, baby bottles, toxic shower curtains, etc. etc.

Of course, we should take precautions. Be sensible and as you said so well, place ourselves in the hands of our Lord. That is the best protection of all.
Amen

Unknown said...

I am a Malaysian really feel sorry to hear about this Swine Flu outbreak in US. You are not alone. He is inside you all, His grace will make you lack of nothing. Your post is timely to offer perfect solution who are in need. I will link up your post, in my forthcoming post, to offer the similar benefits to the people of this part of the world who may need it as well.

God bless you all,

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big8.jpg[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - אווירה כפרית, [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] מרווחים, שירות חדרים, אינטימיות, שלווה, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנחנו מספקים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים כמו כן ישנו במקום שירות חדרים הכולל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]אחרוחות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מיוחדים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם.

לפרטים נא לפנות לעמוד המלון - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory