Monday, April 20, 2009

Like Ocean Waves

2009 has been a great year in many ways for me and in other ways, it has been stressful and filled with grief with many serious prayer needs. My father died at the end of January...that definitely tops the stress and grief scales. My mother is doing well, she has Alzheimer's and thankfully lives 6 blocks from me.

My husband is the legal guardian of his aunt Margaret. She will be 90 in Sept. She resides in a nursing home about 60 miles from us and is completely senile. She fell last Sat. and was rushed to the hospital, thankfully she was not seriously injured...I sped on the way to the ER with tears at the surface, memories of 2008 and Jan. 2009 were flooding into my mind, my husband resisted the urge to tell me to slow down, he knew (we thought hospice was being called in for his aunt) I wanted to get there in time for him to say goodbye.

I have attended 6 funerals since 01/01/2009 plus my father's and skipped 3 others because I just could not do it. I talked to my friend's parents Arch and Betty yesterday. He has leukemia and Alzheimer's, decided to go off all meds and let leukemia do it's thing, I certainly understand. Betty has blood clots in her brain, we prayed yesterday, she has surgery in 2 weeks. She is stressed about who will care for Arch. He doesn't do well without her and heaven forbid if his routine is interupted. He was in the past yesterday and wondered why I didn't spend the night with their daughter anymore. (He remembers the laughter and shrieking I suppose.)

Water got into 1 room of my house Saturday during storms. I think about 2 inches...some items in the room floated. It's a mess. My husband said not to worry about it, so I cleaned part of it and left part of it. (I can follow advice when it suits me!)

We all have times where life seems to buffet us like waves crashing into the shoreline. My life is not unique. Each and everyone of you has seasons where you think, come on - enough is enough. There is sickness, disease, teenagers, school, spouse issues, parents, jobs, elections, all kinds of things that cause problems in our lives.

I don't know how people who do not believe in God or believe what He says endure times of stress and grief. I know the reason I have been able to have extreme joy through my grieving process is because the joy comes from the Lord. His joy is my strength.

If you believe in God, but don't know enough about what He promises us, please begin to read the Bible. I think a good place to start is the Gospel of John. Find a version you understand such as the NIV or the Amplified Bible. I think King James is a little difficult for many people to use at the beginning. The New King James Version is wonderful.

These are a few of God's promises to us:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff,they comfort me.

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.

In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free.

6 comments:

annie's eyes said...

Life has been so difficult for you lately--it just seems there are seasons that are harder than others. He's drawing you even closer through these tough days. We're in a season, too, that challenges us in many ways.Praying for you, sweet friend. Love, AnnetteG

luvmy4sons said...

Our hearts and minds seem to be on the same wave length. I was pondering these very things the other day. Life is so full of so so much...and the only achor through it all is Christ. It makes me tremble to think of those who try to go through this life without Him. I am glad you have Him in your life and I am MOST glad I have Him in mine.

Linda said...

You are such a sweet encourager Annette. Yes - life can really be tough sometimes. And so often it seems to come in waves. I read this verse in Proverbs just a little while ago that spoke to me - "The Lord directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?" Prov. 20:24
When I finally learned to really just lean into Him and trust - that's when the peace and joy flooded in.
I'm praying His peace and joy will continue to fill your heart.

Wendy said...

Life certainly throws us some curves and challenges, but I feel as you do. If we don't have spirituality in our lives, how can we manage?

I hope things begin to settle down for you soon. Six funerals is way too much - and it's only April!
I admire Archie and Betty. Sometimes I think medicine keeps us holding on when really we should just go. I hope Betty's operation goes well and Archie finds peace of mind with his decision.
My prayers are with you too, Annette.

Steph said...

Goodness...there has been a lot of hard things on your plate lately. I feel put in my place...in a good way. I have been worrying about a lot of silly things lately. Distracted. A little preoccupied with yours truly. Sigh...indeed this is a reality check.

I'm sorry it has been such a trying season. I will pray for perseverance and for a new, less stressful season to begin for you. I know there is so much learning and growing to be done in these times, but it's always so hard to appreciate in the moment.

Your faithfulness to Jesus and to His Word is always an encouragement.

My love~
Steph

Karen said...

I thought Psalm 34 was particularly appropriate this week. Sounds like it was appropriate for you as well. One thing about seasons is that they pass. Praying for you this morning.

love,
karen