Thursday, June 12, 2008

Worry

Have you ever read the annual skin cancer articles in wormen's magazines? I do every year....I don't know why I do this, I suppose because I am a native Texan, fair complected, and have spent years out in the sun and on the water. I look at the pictures of skin cancer and think, thankfully nothing on my body looks like that. About 30 minutes later, I look at a large freckle or mole on my arm and think - did that always look like that?A seed of worry tries to plant itself in my mind. If I let it, I will be frantic to get an appt with a dermatologist. (I am not suggesting that we ignore suspicious spots or growths on our skin!) Worry is a sin...I remember how flabbergasted I was when I first discovered that fact. I thought wow, many women in my mother’s family worry about everything. I take after my father’s side and rarely worry. That side of the family tended to have other types of sin….such as control instead of worry.

As I read some of the verses pertaining to worry in the book of Matthew for the 1st time as an adult 25 years ago, it dawned on me if I worried, I was not casting my cares on Jesus, I was lugging them around with me.

Jesus talks about worry, He says:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I want to obey our Lord, so when a seed of worry tries to plant itself in my mind, I usually pray out loud against worry or begin to praise God. The worrisome thought is usually gone in less than a second. Besides, I cannot afford to worry, my face has enough lines and age spots as it is!

9 comments:

Angela Baylis said...

Amen! I tend to worry too and until I learned it was a sin I did it even more! Thanks for these passages! I needed to hear them this morning!
Much love,
Angie xoxo

Karen said...

We are worriers at our house. It is a sin that I struggle with on a regular basis. And unfortunately, 3 out of the 4 of us have ailments that flare up when we worry excessively. (and sometimes those ailments cause us to worry as well.) This I do know...worry never solves the problem.

I appreciate the verses as a reminder. Around here it's one step at a time.

blessings,
karen

Abba's Girl said...

Karen, Please don't think I never worry, it's just rare...and I am not pointing my finger at worriers! I have plenty of sin in my life.

Annette

Paula V said...

Thank you for the reminder. I too am a worrier. Like Ang, I used to be even more so until I realized it was a sin to be so worried it led to being consumed by the issue." I try so hard when I find myself worrying to pray it away. It works most of the time but quoting scripture works better. Though it is not scripture specifically on worry I repeat my life verse to myself with is Proverbs 3:5-6...trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

To me, trusting in the Lord is indeed NOT WORRYING.

I would invite you to read my May 10th posting called "Do You: Worry or Trust?".

Found you through Ang.
Blessings,
Paula

Steph said...

It's just so involuntary! It happens before I even realize!

And what's worse...it's sort of a more "acceptable" sin...you know...one of those that God doesn't "really" care about. I think - He understands. He knows what we mothers go through!

:::SIGH:::But it is sin, isn't it?...thank you for the reminder...even though it's hard. ;)

Linda said...

Hi Annette,
So nice to have you visit my blog.
I love your post and agree with what you've said. I thought this morning, as I was praying for rain yet again, that it is symptomatic of what I do about everything - worry it to death. I pray about it and then proceed to fret about whether it will happen or not!! So silly.
I have decided that I really must simply trust and believe that the Father will take perfect care of us.
Thanks for a wonderful reminder.

Abba's Girl said...

Steph, It's like me eating too much...it's "legal"....ha ha ha...

I told one of the other bloggers, I had planned (notice the word I) to do another post on love when the Lord dropped the idea of worry into my heart.

annette said...

That is a great word! When we worry we are not casting our cares on Him. I am a worrier, but would like to say, "recovering" worrier. In His Name. Love, the other Annette

luvmy4sons said...

LOL! I guess we all have our issues we can fret over from time to time. The walk of faith is an up and down journey! I often go to the thought that God had all of my days planned before one of them came to be. Worrying about something that hasn't happened yet is a waste of time if it never happens. And if it is going to happen then God planend it and it is for my good and He will most certainly give me all I need to get through it. Doesn't mean I don't go back and revisit it, but it gets me out of some moments!