Monday, June 16, 2008

The Revelation of the Table of Contents

One day last summer my friend Anna Marie (she lives in San Antone) and I (I’m in Richmond) were reading the Bible and calling each other back and forth to discuss the passages. Our husband’s were out of town and we had all day to ourselves. (Thank goodness long distance is no longer expensive!)

I decided to let the Bible fall open and read whatever was before my eyes, I was going to call Anna Marie back with the great revelation. Many times when I have just let it fall open, the Lord has led me to a passage that speaks to me about a situation in my life or the situation a friend is in at the time. I looked to see where the Bible opened….would it be the Old Testament, 1 of the Gospels, an Epistle? No it was open to the table of contents. We laughed so hard. I think God must have laughed too.

I think sometimes we are just too serious. The Bible speaks of joy; I take that to mean the Lord intends us to be filled with joy. The Bible speaks of laughter; doesn’t that mean we should laugh at least occasionally? Let the following verses speak to you:

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful.

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy

Let your Bible fall open today and may you have a better revelation than the table of contents.

3 comments:

About Nancy said...

I do believe God has a wonderful sense of humor. Since we were made in His image, He must be hilarious. Thanks for sharing!
In Him,
Nancy

luvmy4sons said...

Too hilarious! When you look at all of creation we see that He most definitely has a sense of humor!

Karen said...

I love it that God laughs. And it does my heart good to think that He smiles at my antics sometimes.

May your day be joyful!
karen