Sunday, June 1, 2008

Just ask Him

My husband came in the other day as I was writing some notes in a workbook. He asked if I was grading my Bible Study group’s answers. He was serious. I said no, there are no wrong answers unless you accidentally look up the wrong passage. I explained we might not always agree, but the point was to grow in the Lord not be right. I also told him, we discuss our answers, I don't grade. (Can you imagine grading your Bible Study group's work?????)

That got me to thinking…which may or may not be a dangerous thing…how many of us are set back on our walks with the Lord because someone legalistically tells us we are wrong when we are new Christians and just beginning to know God and His word?

I have friends who were turned off by that type of treatment by mature Christians, or someone was patronizing to them when they asked a question at Bible Study. One of my friends was kicked out of a Bible Study at a large Baptist Church in Houston because she missed 2 weeks in a row when her father-in-law died. (I am not making this up, it really happened.) The leader’s words wounded my friend to the core of her being. She did not attempt to find another Bible Study for years.

We must be mindful of the words which come out of our mouths…a whole lot of words come out of mine…I am sure friends and family wish I thought of this approach to life 35 years ago. God’s word says:

But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

He who answers before listening— that is his folly and his shame.

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

We must be bold and not water down the Gospel, but we must say it in love and truth without a hint of Pharisee in us. In fact, I used to pray for the Lord the blast any bit of Pharisee right out of me.

I want the words of Jesus to pour out of my mouth when I deal with people at work, the store, the post office, etc. I want the love of Jesus to pour out of me when I am in public (and at home). When I ministered at the Astrodome after Hurricane Katrina, you better believe I needed His words, not Annette words! Of course He came through for me. He’ll come through for you too….just ask Him.

1 comment:

luvmy4sons said...

The issue that God has shown me over time is that each heart is in a different place according to the journey God has them on. There are different strengths and weaknesses and different seasons and times for each person to come to understandings. I do not know a heart. Only God does. I have often been shown that my staucnch position on an issue might have been right for me in that moment of time and then God took me to another place and showed me how awesome He is to work differently at different times in people's lives, even my own,as He humbled me with a different view point suddenly because of my changing life circumstances. This is a great message. One I wish I had learned sooner...