Thursday, June 5, 2008

Are We Immature Woodpeckers?

I looked outside this morning and a young Red Bellied Woodpecker came skidding in for a landing at the bird feeder. He didn’t want other birds around and kept trying to scare them away from the feeder. The mature birds looked at him like he was a twerp. This happened the other day with another young bird. The woodpecker made noises, flew a couple inches up into the air, and jabbed the birds with his beak.

It reminded me of the Body of Christ when we peck at each other over matters that are not related to salvation. My former church has a contemporary service and a traditional service, when I scheduled prayer ministers (people who were serving others) some prayer team members refused to attend one service or the other because they hated the music, or it was too early or too late. They lost sight they were there to serve others. Christians fall out over is there a Rapture? Is the Rapture pre-trib, mid-trip, or post trib? Christians argue about wine or grape juice at Communion. Churches split over the gifts of the Spirit. And let's not even talk female pastors/priests/ministers...

Do we ever stop to consider how that appears to the unsaved? People watch how we act in the real world; they listen to what we say in the real world. We must live the Gospel, it cannot be a Sunday thing, it must be a daily thing. The Bible tells us:

If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Ask the Holy Spirit to convict you if the fruit in your life is not a harvest of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

I am off to pray and watch birds. Have a blessed day!

3 comments:

Karen said...

As someone who has worked in christian retail for 20 years, I am often distressed at the behavior that I see. (Of course, I never see that kind of behavior in myself. Not.) Anyway, I guess the one thing God has made me aware of over the years is that you never know who is watching. Or maybe a better thing to say is that everyone is watching. We have nonchristians in all the time and believe me, they notice our behavior.

Enjoy the birds!

luvmy4sons said...

And all I can say to that is AMEN! Say it! Oh thank God for His mercy that helped me learn grace!

connie said...

Thank you for the reminder, I get caught up in my feelings sometimes and iI have to be put in my place from the King... I know that I'm being watched by non Christian's all the time and I know that I need to be more aware at times...
Thank you again...
Connie
GBU