Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Bye Bye 2017

2017 you were a long hard year, filled with death and destruction. Texas was the recipient of a hurricane which devasted a wide swath of the State and when the winds died down, the rain seemed never-ending. Then a few weeks later - a horrifying church shooting in Sutherland Springs.

Recovery from the hurricane continues, many are still in tents and RVs, many are living in gutted homes, I am sure there are a huge # of FEMA trailers along Harvey's path as well. The people of Sutherland Springs continue to recover. Please continue to pray for them as well as Harvey victims. 

I noticed out of town news reporters were astounded by the love demonstrated during Harvey as ordinary citizens rescued people who needed rescue. We had little looting compared to other locations ravaged by hurricanes. People were kind and loving, taking strangers into their homes for the night, for a week, for 3 months. 

Generous Facebook friends sent money, Walmart gift cards, and coats to be distributed among the underserved in my area whose homes flooded. Recently people have asked what do people in your area still need. My answer:

Coats/Jackets/Sweater
Gift Cards to Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart/Target/Kroger
Blankets
Pillows
Sheets
Towels

If you want to send any of these items or checks (with flood relief on the memo line)
please send to: 

Living Stones Church
503-D Houston Street
Rosenberg, TX 77471

Father Frankie Rodriquez and Friends of North Rosenberg will see donations are delivered to families in need immediately.

As hard as 2017 was, it was also beautiful. Love conquered evil, grief, and tragedy. We lived out the Gospel. The words of Matthew 25 were a big part of life down here.

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:  for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;  was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?  When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?  Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’  And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
As we say goodbye 2017, I am filled with joy and hope. I pray we continue to live out the Gospel in 2018, more and more each day, seeing people the way the Lord sees us, speaking words the Lord would speak - words of love and grace not words of hate and judgment. I pray we always remember the least of these.






No comments: