Saturday, January 7, 2017

Weeds in the Garden

Living in an area which allows for gardening year round is great except for one annoying aspect (even worse than August heat) - WEEDS!!! We have species of weeds which flourish in winter, species which flourish in spring, species which flourish in summer. and species which flourish in autumn. And to add to the mix, we have weeds that remain green and grow during droughts and others which grow when it rains and or floods.

It is cold and wet this weekend, a few snowflakes, a little sleet - gives me an excuse not to pull Chickweed and Velcro Weed which have popped up in my lawn and in 2 of my flower beds. How dare they try to choke out my Pansies, Petunias, Violas, Snapdragons, and Dusty Millers! Next Saturday, the high is predicted to be 80, so I will be working in the yard. Velcro Weed is a nickname for Galium Aparine, you pull it out of the ground and it sticks to your hands, your clothes, your shoes, if you don't pull it before it blooms, it goes to seed and the seeds stick to you, too. It is terrible.

Weeds are an illustration of the things of this world that choke out our time with God in His Word and in prayer. We are back to our normal routines after the holidays. If our schedule got off track during the holidays, we need to correct it now. It is easy to stay in bed 20 minutes more on a cold morning instead of getting up to pray. It is easy to watch the news, weather, and traffic over and over before work instead of spending time in the Word. I get it, I've done it, I will do it again. I am not perfect.

I know tomorrow it will be hard to get out of bed because it will be 25 and I am not a morning person. My alarm is set, I will have water in the kettle, coffee grounds in the press...I will light the fire and spend quiet time in prayer and in the Bible before the hustle and bustle of grocery shopping and Saturday morning errands.


Ladies make time for reading your Bible and prayer. You will never regret it. (P.S. It is 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning and 22. The rain is gone, the sun is out, the bird baths are frozen solid, I walked across the lawn to fill bird feeders, it is not often our ground is so frozen I don't sink in the mulch as I step into 1 flower bed to fill 1 of the bird feeders!)















No comments: