Tuesday, January 3, 2017

SSMT 2017, Verse 1

I am on board with Beth Moore's Siesta Scripture Memory Team to commit Scriptures to memory this year. My 1st verse is Psalm 36:5, ESV
Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.
It is a short verse, but I felt led to make it my 1st verse. It is not too late to join us as we commit at least 24 verses to memory this year. Instructions can be found on her website:Lproof.org and The SSMT Facebook page: LPM SSMT 2017

I think of all the things that are etched in my memory and think Scripture should be in it (there is some, but I could use more), too. One note and I can still sing the theme to Gilligan's Island and or The Flinstones. All manner of things...in by brain for decades, and I tell myself it is so hard to memorize the written word, but I think I've talked myself into it. I don't think it was easy memorizing the Barefoot Boy Poem in 7th grade, I don't think it was easy memorizing how to conjugate verbs in Latin, French, or German. I was much younger, my brain was more nimble, but I agonized over some of it because I did not really want to pour my energy into those things. (I just thought of the Episcopal Catechism, I had to memorize for confirmation!) There were phone calls to make, makeup to try, ballet and pointe classes which were far more important than memorizing a poem!

Blessings on thee, little man,
Barefoot boy, with cheek of tan!
With thy turned-up pantaloons,
And thy merry whistled tunes;
With thy red lip, redder still
Kissed by strawberries on the hill;
With the sunshine on thy face,
Through thy torn brim’s jaunty grace;
From my heart I give thee joy,—
I was once a barefoot boy! (There is more, but you get the drift)

Memorizing Scripture will take effort because my brain is not as nimble as it used to be, but there are not the ballet and pointe classes, nor the makeup to try, and fewer phone calls to distract me. I can pour my energy into memorization because I want to do this.

I pray 2017 is a year in which we look to the Lord, keep our focus on Him, and let the distractions of 2016 be a thing of the past. Blessings ladies!

No comments: