Monday, November 7, 2016

Waiting at the ER

As you wait with a loved one at the ER, you hear many things. Machines whirring, carts being wheeled down the hallways, bells, alarms, people griping about various topics and the dreaded voice over the PA System announcing Code Blue. 2 people coded as I waited. One was a 35-year-old man brought into the ER by paramedics. One moment a nurse was taking my loved one's vitals, in the blink of an eye he was off to work on the man who was dying feet away from me. Earlier today, the man left home for work. I think it is safe to safe the day did not turn out has he planned. I feel for his family. He did make it up to ICU...

If he could push the reset button for the day, the last month, or the last year; I wonder what changes he would make if any? If we pushed the reset button, what changes would we make? Eat less, exercise more - maybe...Spend more time griping about politicians - NO...Spend more time maintaining our spiritual health and with friends and family - Yes!

We never know when we will be called home. When we pray and come to our Heavenly Father in repentance confessing our sin, we do push the reset button in a sense. Our sins are forgiven. I had a friend who always said, "I keep the accounts short and confess throughout the day because I cannot remember it all when I return home from work." I know I feel as though I've really accomplished something if I make it from the bed to the coffee pot in the morning without a single, sinful thought.

Scripture tells us:

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.



No comments: