Saturday, August 9, 2014

Quiet

Southeast Texas' summer has been mild so far this year. The high temperatures have not climbed to 100, we've had some rain, could use more, but we are not in a severe drought. Thank You Lord!

By mid-August, I usually run out of energy and lose interest in being outdoors for any reason. This year, the summer doldrums arrived about a week early. Is there a way to participate in a 5K next Sat. without leaving my house?

I used to love the lazy days of summer, watching clouds, riding bikes, trips to the library, swimming at the YWCA, a day in Galveston. Ballet classes were during the day in summer, so there were plenty of evenings playing kickball, baseball, and hide n seek. When did I lose my love for summer?

Most of the housework is done, I've stacked a book, gardening magazines, and my Bible study workbook on the end table and plan to remain in the den for the rest of the afternoon enjoying the quiet while I read and study. No music, no TV, just the soft whir the ceiling fan and an a few birds singing.

The last several weeks the nightly news has been filled with stories of corruption, our government, economic woes, disease, chaos, and violence. If we do not take time to relax and rest, we will become weary, and will be of no use in the Kingdom. I hope these words bless you and refresh you:

Luke 12:22-34


And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

“Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.


1 comment:

Cheryl Barker said...

Annette, we've had a milder than normal summer, too. Has sure been nice. You tickled me with your comment about wanting to run a 5K without leaving your house :) I agree about taking time to rest, but I need to take time to practice it more. Just hard for me to relax -- unless it's my Sunday afternoon nap :)