Sunday, August 10, 2014

Clutter

Have you ever let a little housework slide only to be overwhelmed by clutter? I let some mail, catalogs, magazines, and books pile up in the den and our bedroom. I dealt with some of it today by placing items in a basket and immediately loading the basket and dog in the car so we could drop it off at a paper recycling bin. I survived without perusing the catalogs. So what...I did not copy recipes out of magazines. Great feeling as I dumped political candidates' postcards and letters into the bin. Books have been placed on shelves and in cabinets. Order is being restored.

Sin can be a bit like clutter, it usually creeps into our lives a little bit at a time with disastrous results.

In my daily Bible reading the past few days have been from the 1st 10 chapters of Jeremiah. I am participating in Anne Graham Lotz's Bible Study - Expecting to See Jesus. This week's study is from 2 Chronicles 34 about King Josiah. Both deal with sin.

Many churches do not talk about sin these days for many reasons none of which are Biblical. Sin like clutter can seem manageable until it overwhelms us. We must deal with it immediately and not let it reside in us.

Let the words of Jesus wash over you afresh today:

John 8:34-36 ESV

Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

No comments: