Saturday, April 27, 2013

Finding Joy

I have been accused of being a Pollyanna, always being happy no matter what. I have been told I've never experienced the hard knocks of life. Let me state clearly, on the record, neither statement is true. I am not always happy; I've experienced tragedy just as you have.

The USA experienced a bombing in Boston nearly 2 weeks ago, people were injured and killed, the Midwest experienced flooding, and a small town "up the road" from me in Texas experienced an explosion at a fertilizer plant. All of these incidents brought sadness and grief to my heart. I didn't put on a Pollyanna hat and play the glad game; I cried.

No matter what life brings, I try to cling to the joy of the Lord because it is my strength. The Bible tells us:

Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

For his anger is but for a moment,and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

If you think your life is lacking in joy, pray about it. Circumstances can anger us, fill us with grief, fatigue us, numb us, etc - but they cannot take away our joy.

No comments: