Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Get my Goat

Yesterday out of the clear blue, a woman I've known 30 years set me off and "got my goat". It shocked me. She made a sarcastic comment to me and I almost erupted. The rest of the day I had negative thoughts about her and the way she's conducted her life the last 5 years. Can anyone say judgment??? Who am I to point out her sin? It's a big job trying to keep up with my own sin.

It was as if I was flipping through a Rolodex of her sinful moments. I was not comparing myself to her, didn't feel better than her, just wanted to throw a few zingers her way.

I still do not know why I reacted that way to 1 measly comment. Maybe instead of flipping through the imaginary Rolodex, I should have repented and prayed for her as well as her fractured family. (I did later in the day.)

I woke up today with a better attitude toward her, but it still is not where it should be. Our Lord said:

For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?

He also said: “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

So as you can see, my time is better spent removing the log from my eye than alerting her to the speck in her eye.


No comments: