Monday, December 5, 2011

Memories of Christmases Past

Funny how something from long ago pops into our heads out of the clear and the blue. I was reading the Houston Chronicle when suddenly from nowhere a French Christmas Carol popped into my head. I learned it in 5th grade which was a very LONG time ago.

Entre le boeuf et l'ane gris,
Dort, dort, dort le petit fils,
Mille anges divins, mille séraphins,
Volent alentour de ce grand Dieu d'amour

Between the ox and the gray ass, Sleeps, sleeps, sleeps the small son, Thousand divine angels, thousand seraphim , Fly around this great God of love...(I think I translated correctly.)

I am thankful most of my memories from Christmases past are about family, fellowship, and music. I remember receiving wonderful gifts along the way, but the memories of Crissy Dolls, Creepy Crawlers, and bicycles pale in comparison to time spent in laughter with loved ones, sharing meals with extended family and singing Christmas Carols.

I am thankful for Christmas memories to come. I pray your Christmas is filled with peace, joy, and love.

Car un enfant nous est né, un fils nous est donné, Et la domination reposera sur son épaule; On l'appellera Admirable, Conseiller, Dieu puissant, Père éternel, Prince de la paix.

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

4 comments:

drm7.blogspot.com said...

Can you find a YouTube video of that song? I have never heard it!
I have been in a reflective mode, as well. Looking forward to making a new memory with you and all your gal pals on Dec 31!

Divinely Acquitted said...

Christmas is one of my most favorite occasions. It's the birthday of the King! Merry Christmas to you & your family. Thanks for sharing those carols. Lovely!

Cheryl Barker said...

"For to us a child is born..." I love that scripture passage! Hope your season is blessed, Annette!

About Nancy said...

You made me smile. I had a Crissy doll too:)