Saturday, December 11, 2010

Line of Love

I am saddened today by the necessity of a "Line of Love" at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral. Her children are dealing with the death of their mother and a protest group wants to make their day much worse.

I saw pictures of the protesters a couple of days ago. They were carrying signs some of which read: God Bless Breast Cancer. Their reasoning - She was hell bound because her son died and she had cancer. (I wonder if they think her's estranged husband's adultery is also her fault?)

How do they think this demonstrates loving their neighbor as Jesus commanded us to do? I pray their hateful words and curses are shut down. I pray the people in the Line of Love reflect Christ's love and in no way come down to the protesters level of Phariseeism (I know - no such word) and hate.

As for the protesters, we must pray for them to be transformed by the love of Christ, for their hearts of stone to become hearts of flesh and we must do so because Christ also commands us:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

No comments: