Monday, November 29, 2010

Happy New Year

It's the beginning of the new year according to liturgical calenders. The 1st Sunday of Advent has come and gone. The season has begun for us to prepare our hearts for the coming of Jesus. Though, I don't observe all things liturgical, I observe Advent. (I could use prayers to locate the Advent Wreath Annette G gave me, I have to candles but not the wreath. I stored it separately from the Christmas decorations last year which apparently was not the smart thing to do.)

The word Advent means "coming" or "arrival" from the Latin Adventus. The focus of the season is the celebration of the birth of Jesus the Christ in his First Advent, and the anticipation of the return of Christ the King in his Second Advent.

During Advent, as Christmas music and retail ads swirl...I try to devote extra time to journaling and spending time in the Word. Many people fast during Advent. Many people spend more time in prayer. If you observe Advent, do you add time in prayer, the Word, fasting or all the above?

For those of us who observe Advent, I pray we find it a holy time.

In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah when he said, "The voice of one crying in the wilderness:'Prepare the way of the Lord; make his paths straight.'"

2 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

I don't "officially" observe Advent, following the calendar, etc., but I do cherish the season of Christmas and spend time in personal worship as I thank God for sending us a Savior. May you be blessed as you observe Advent this month, Annette!

Unknown said...

I guess I never think about doing that. But, that's a great idea. It keeps you focused on what we are truly celebrating.

Sheryl