Tuesday, November 25, 2008

But the Fruit of the Spirit is not Chocolate

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

I knew Wal Mart was going to be a real test yesterday, I said goodbye to my husband, I put the car in reverse, headed down the driveway and low and behold, my husband's truck was over about 5 inches from where it should be parked and I could not get by. I came back inside and he was in the shower and told me to wait a minute. I waited 8 and was either about to do my Mt Vesuvius impression or join the astronauts in orbit, I am not sure which. I fold my side view mirrors in, took down a bird feeder and made it out the drive way without hitting the house, his truck or anyone. (Though I will say it's hard to back up w/o side view mirrors.)

I arrived at Wal Mart, the greeter said hello, I said hello, he pushed a grocery cart my way and said I hope it works - that was my 1st clue - it was going to be a long shopping trip. One or all 4 wheels squeaked beyond belief. I have never heard such a racket in my life. People 5 or 6 aisles away knew I was coming. But I was able to let my gentleness be evident. I was in line to check out and someone tried to use a fraudulent Lone Star Card, could not understand the conversation because switched from English to Spanish. 3 of us were told to go to the express lanes. (All the express lanes were opened, 2 regular lanes were open, I am thankful I saved money, I am thankful I saved money, I am thankful I saved money.)

I really didn't get into sinful thoughts, didn't have to repent much compared to normal, I guess because I was angry when I left the house over my husband's truck not being parked correctly. I was able to stay focused on the Lord quite a bit while shopping. I am thankful I made the decision to live out Scripture instead of give myself over to a sinful thought life as I shopped.

I did ask the Lord why chocolate was not a fruit of the Spirit. He didn't mention chocolate when He led me to several verses about patience, gentleness and kindness.

Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

I must repeat this from yesterday's post:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

Today as the mad rush of cooking and preparing our homes to receive guests is on or the packing begins for those who travel, show a little kindness and patience, let your gentleness be evident. Let's all remain in an attitude of thanksgiving. Let's thank Him not only for what He has done in our lives but for Who He is - Yaweh, the Great I Am.

6 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Ok. It may not be on the list...but chocolate can go a long way to helping you display many of the other fruits of the Spirit! LOL! Glad you survived it! I am having family here...so cleaning today!

Karen said...

I am thankful I saved money, I am thankful I saved money. I loved that part! And I am proud that you didn't lose your cool. (now if we can just survive the next four weeks.)

Kim said...

What a great reminder! Oh, how I have the same relationship with Walmart!!! It IS the cheapest ~ but oh what a test on patience it is. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Wendy said...

I am glad things worked out for you. I enjoyed the gentleness of this post, despite the aggrevations you had to endure.
Chocolate should definitely be a Fruit of the Spirit - if not, it is definitely a Food Group. To be eaten especially when upset, mad, angry, infuriated, impatient, depressed, happy, glad, joyful - ah what the heck - how about every day??

Anonymous said...

I bought chocolate and made a chocolate cake, which is not on T's menu. . .might come in handy, but moreso a lot more of His Spirit! Happy Thanksgiving to you, my dear friend. Love, Annette

Gina said...

You post reminds me of me! Thank you for the great reminder to walk in gentlenss and forgivness. You are a blessing.