Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Perfectionism

Every once in a while I feel perfectionism trying to rear its ugly head in my life. I think it developed a firm place in my life when I was a ballet dancer, after all, I was striving for perfection. There was always someone better than me and always someone coming up behind me who had the potential to surpass me.

In my late 20's it finally dawned on me, perfectionism should not be a part of my life especially after I re-established my relationship and walk with God.

Something about decorating and planning a meal for a few family members seems to give the thing license to attempt to make an appearance. Christmas Cards sitting unaddressed on the kitchen table. Maybe next year. (I've let go of something!) Finally got the outdoor lights up and working yesterday.

When I focus on getting everything just right, perfect wrapping, perfectly baked cookies and treats, my house so clean you could eat off the floor, every ornament placed perfectly on the tree...where is Jesus in all this?

Why do I celebrate Christmas? Is it to admire my Christmas Tree with the perfectly placed ornaments? If it is...I have a problem bigger than perfectionism!

Ladies, take time to ponder the birth of our Savior, take time to read the Nativity passages in the Bible, take time to worship Him.

Worse case scenario, you buy cookies at the store, you skip the Christmas Cards this year, you serve a frozen pizza. Your friends and family won't care. They want to spend time with a relaxed you and so does Jesus.

Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people.  For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.”
 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:
 “Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!”

No comments: