Saturday, July 15, 2017

Lights, Camera, Action?

I bought a new point and shoot, Sony camera which films video as well. It arrived last night. I skimmed the instructions, inserted the battery and memory card. Took a few pictures using the zoom lens. I need to practice using the various settings to enhance photographs. I need more than practice filming video! The camera has a microphone, I saw it listed in the description, I have not located it on the camera. It would help if I read the instructions thoroughly instead of skimming them.

I think we can treat the Bible the same way. Maybe we are reading it and come to a familiar passage and skim over it with familiarity or perhaps we come to a passage which is a lengthy genealogy, dare I say it, at times I've skipped ahead and ignored the genealogy completely. Maybe we become so familiar with a version of the Bible we miss the nuances and details. The Bible deserves to be read not perused. We are to take it as a letter from home, the holy, living word of God. We are to live it out, not spout quotes from it in a self-righteous, legalistic way to others. The Bible's purpose is not to make us think we have all the answers or feel superior to others. It should transform the way we think, speak, and act. We should reflect Jesus and His love in our thoughts, words, and deeds.

For Bible Study, I tend to use the ESV and or the NIV. I love the Amplified version as well. For reading through the Bible in 90 days or a year, I rotate versions, this year for a 90-day reading early in the year (How is it July, already?!?!?!) I used the New English Translation. I will continue to use it for daily reading this year. You don't have to go out and buy multiple versions of the Bible, there are free versions for download on Kindles and other devices. BibleGateway.com   offers multiple versions online at no charge in numerous languages as well as reading plans.

So if you feel as if you are in a rut, change it up and select a new version of the Bible. Stay in the Word and remember Heaven is our real home.

No comments: