Friday, January 3, 2014

Stone

And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

In the Bible the word stone appears 324 times in the English Standard Version. Stones on the ground, various minerals are described as stones, they are building materials, things to be thrown, and hearts.

As a Christian, I consistently search my heart. Is there (or are there) an area in which it is stony instead of surrendered to God? Do I have a hardened heart towards a person or situation? The honest answer is yes. I have shut down regarding a person I've known too many years to count. If I describe the cause of the shut down, I fear I will sin further by describing it because I might add a few adjectives, a few adverbs, and far too many nouns to cause the person to look bad and I might come out smelling like a rose.

One of the things on my heart this year is to freely love this person again and to pray with fervor for the person's prayer needs. The friendship might not be what it once was in my opinion, but with the grace of God it can be a healthy friendship again.

So ladies, check out your heart...if it is somewhat stony, ask for a heart of flesh, He will give it to you.

No comments: