Saturday, February 2, 2013

Why?

Last night we learned our friends' son died due to a work related accident. Their son leaves behind a wife with a baby on the way as well as another child. He was to be his brother's best man a week from today. I do not think there are any words to aptly describe how the family feels today. Devastated may come close.

Last night the question why came up in conversation. Why God, why? When in reality the questioner was thinking God, why did You allow this to happen? He didn't phrase it this way because he didn't want to accuse God. No matter how we word it, God knows what we mean.

I cannot answer the question as to why this young man died; but I can with complete faith state God is pouring out His comfort and sustaining love on those who grieve. He gives us assurance in the face of what seems to be a hopeless situation. He calls those who mourn to Himself. He brings peace to a situation in which you think there will never be peace. He binds up broken hearts. He will not forsake us.

My prayer is the family and friends who are doubting God at this point will find His comforting presence and will know He is with them. These words from Matthew 5 are true: Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Oh, Annette! I'm getting sick of hearing stories like this one! I add my prayers to yours and I'm praying that everyone who surrounds this family POINTS them straight to the ONLY One who can truly comfort!

I love your compassionate heart!