Thursday, January 6, 2011

Epiphany

Today is Epiphany, celebrated by few in America. When I was a child we saved 1 gift to open on Epiphany. The Christmas decorations came down that day after we opened our gift. If dad were home for dinner (his hours were irregular because he was a narcotics officer at the time), we had a celebratory dinner before attending church. It was the only service women were allowed to wear pants.

After church, we had a bonfire on the soccer field (we had firemen on the scene just in case). Children drank hot chocolate, ran around, and the adults socialized while our Christmas trees fueled the fire. It was a fun evening with family and friends. One thing never changed on Epiphany, the processional hymn was always We Three Kings.

Sometimes I miss the old traditions, but traditions don't grow me spiritually. I think I'll try to be more like the wise men this year, and give Him all I have and all I am.

When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory