Monday, December 15, 2008

The Post Office & The Holy Spirit

Does anyone relish a trip to the post office this time of year? I knew there would be a bit of a wait as parking places were scarce. I had 2 choices: stand in line and think nasty thoughts or stand in line and pray for friends and family who need prayer. Part of me wanted to do the nasty thought thing so I could contemplate the woman who told the postal worker to wait as she talked on her cell phone. He called the next customer, she hung up the telephone quickly and glared at him while he waited on her. Remember, these are people - God's children, not idiots, I am reminding myself of this point as well as telling myself I am Kingdom minded.

The Holy Spirit can change our mood in a heartbeat if we ask Him to do so. Ephesians tells us:

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

I want to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit everywhere I go, I want the Light of Christ to shine from my eyes and His words to pour forth as I talk to people. I know a lady named Wanda Plummer, she's 86; who in regular conversation without mentioning the Lord pours forth His words. People are drawn to her because His love is such a part of her. I don't know how many young hippies she prayed into the Kingdom in the 1960's and 1970's. People were set free from drugs in her front yard, numerous people were saved in her living room; she drew them in with love.

In Isaiah we are told: I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

Remember under our armor, we are clothed in Salvation and robed in Righteousness. Bring the fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness with you - don't leave home without it!

I'll end today with this video clip Come Thou Long Expected Jesus, the scenery is beautiful, I know our sisters up north will not appreciate the snow scenes like many us on the Gulf Coast and in south Texas...and Ang, never fear the word Hippo does not appear in text, is not said or sung in the clip. Freezing rain is supposed to begin falling soon...I prefer snow, it's time for a cup of Sugar Free Swiss Miss hot chocolate.

3 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Once again such a lovely exhortation...may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you!

Paula V said...

It can be hard to be kind in thought and Christ in character when we are faced with unkind folks, huh? There is great reward for us (by what the Father feels) when we react and act in a loving way to the unlovely. God loves them and therefore, shouldn't we. Yes, hard as it may be.

Cheryl Barker said...

"The Holy Spirit can change our mood in a heartbeat if we ask Him to do so." What a wonderful truth -- now if I will just remember to do so!!