Thursday, November 13, 2008

Move the Bag

I felt impressed by the Holy Spirit to share this story about listening.

The other day I had an upset stomach, I didn't feel well enough to go anywhere, but I was not so ill I could not function. My husband always had various over the counter medicine he takes to the hunting lease. I dug around looking for something to take, could not find anything. I went into our bathroom and noticed he had pulled a basket of my stuff out from under the vanity and left it on the floor and put one of his shaving kits on top of it. I was annoyed. I heard the quiet voice say move the bag. I thought I'll pick it up later, after all I was looking for something to calm my stomach, it took 1st priority. 10 minutes later I was back in our bathroom to paw through drawers on his side of the vanity. I heard it again, move the bag. Let's just say I didn't move the bag. I decided to sip on water and contemplate a nap because it was lunch and I was not going to eat. Maybe I could be pathetic and send my husband to the store when he returned later that afternoon. Maybe I could ask my parents to stop at the Sonic on the way home from church and buy a slush for me. Or...maybe I could move the bag...

I went into the bathroom and moved the bag, guess what...under the bag was the medicine I was looking for...to bad I didn't move the bag the 1st time the Lord told me to move it when I whined to Him I didn't feel well.

I am used to hearing the quiet Voice, I rely on hearing it when I pray with people. Many times I listen right away in daily life but not always. He speaks to us every day in the little things as well as the big things. We must listen. As my friend Norma Dearing says, He gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth which means we need to listen more than we speak.

The Bible says:

but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm.

Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD.

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

Have a blessed day and let's listen for the still, quiet voice of God today.

5 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

I love it when He confirms to me that He speaks even in the littlest of issues in my life! And I HATE it when I don't listen. But at least when I fail to do so it confirms to me that it WAS God. Often when I DO listen I fail to realize that the mesage was the voice of the Holy spirit within me. My needs are too quickly met and forgotten. Loved this post. Thanks for your honesty!

Paula V said...

I love that saying...God have us two ears and one mouth. We need to listen more.

Glad you listened and moved the bag.

Anonymous said...

I keep losing ground with disobedience where I know God is after more, yet I don't move in the right direction or fast enough or get distracted. All I can say is this is a good word for me today to just listen, and to obey that still Voice. It is our Guide. Love, A

Unknown said...

Sometimes God begins his conversations with me with a baseball bat...that's what gets my attention.

I need to HEAR and LISTEN to Him when He speaks. His WORD means more than any words from this world.

Wendy said...

I like your friend Norma's saying. Funny how sometimes we listen and other times we push that voice away.