Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cousins Update

So far have had a great weekend with all the family. A couple of people considered the Galleria yesterday and then changed their mind. Thank You Lord! Paul and Jan brought pictures they found when Paul's father (my dad's brother) passed away. We had a ball looking at pictures of my dad and his siblings as well as pictures of my grandparents when they were very young.

I also found out my uncle Walter and aunt Maxine secretly married when they were 16. Because aunt Maxine's family thought Walter was beneath their station in society; they lived separately at their parents' homes until the day they graduated from high school. That must have been 1 heck of a graduation. Somehow they managed to keep it a secret for 2 years and prevent conception of children. My aunt had their 1st child just after he was deployed to the Phillipines during WWII. My aunt and uncle were so straight and narrow the story shocked me. (Now I know why they were such strict parents!) They were married just shy of 70 yrs and died a couple months apart last year.

I hope the WI cousins can visit in the spring. I would love for them to see Texas wildflowers in bloom. As always it was great to see my San Antonio cousins. I know my dad has had a ball seeing his niece, nephew and their spouses. I think my mother has really enjoyed herself as well.

Hope ya'll had a great weekend. It's time for me to get caught up on Bible Study.

4 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

THAT is one wedding story to tell. Wow!

Cheryl Barker said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderful family weekend, Annette. Loved that story about your aunt & uncle!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing the things you find out when family gets together. Sounds like a very sweet time for you and your dad. Love, A

Angela Baylis said...

Wow... what a cool story about your aunt and uncle! My parents got married young. My mom was a Senior in high school. They did it so they could have s*x! :) My parents were married for 51 years before my dad passed away. My mom has had such a hard time and misses him terribly!
Thanks for sharing this today!
Love,
Angie xoxo