Friday, September 19, 2008

The Sights & Sounds of the Last Week

The sights and sounds of the last week have been from 1 extreme to the other. Last Friday, I drank my coffee while sitting outside listening to birds, praying, and wondering if my world would look very different Saturday evening. As people came outside, the sounds of saws and drills filled the air. I could hear hammers in the distance. People worked quickly and went over to neighbors’ homes to see if they needed help. By mid day we were as ready as we could be. I sat outside watching hummingbirds and felt an occasional blast of wind from the north. Friday night I watched birds and listened to cicadas make a dreadful noise. The last thing I saw was a burst of light in the night sky to the northwest. I took the bird feeders in and began to pray again. My husband was in bed exhausted from getting so many houses ready and thinking he was going to lose his little shack in Matagorda. The winds began to howl, it was so loud we never heard the rain or thunder. I say we, I should say – I, my husband was still sleeping. I sedated the dogs, they are frightened of storms. Every time I almost fell asleep something hit the house and made a lot of noise. After the storm had passed about 12 hours later, it was very silent. I saw a hummingbird trying to find a blossom on a battered Mexican Bush Salvia when I stepped outside to take a look. I rushed to hang the birdfeeders. Monday the sound of generators was our background noise outdoors. Drills began drilling as people removed the plywood from their windows. I could hear hammers as people were making repairs to their roofs. Then the chainsaws began as people cleared trees and cut dangling limbs. Service repairmen are all over the area, Centerpoint Energy, AT&T, Comcast, we are thrilled to see them. Tonight it was pretty quite, no hammers, no saws and for the 1st time since Sunday, no generators. It is has been much easier to be still and know He is God this week.

9 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Annette, I am so glad you are safe. My heart goes out to all who are dealing with the aftermath of the hurricane.

I just noticed that you have my blog link listed on your blog list. Thanks so much!

Karen said...

I have been thanking God that you all faired so well during the storm. We have so much to be thankful for!

love,
karen

luvmy4sons said...

I am sure your situation is far worse, but I can relate. After the weakened Ike hit our area we heard a lot of the same sounds. We are still hearing chain saws even still. It makes me smile though. Life. People picking themselves up dusting themselves off and getting back to it.

Shonda said...

How sweet the sound with generators must be! I am thankful that you doing well where you are.

Engrafted by His Grace-
Shonda

Shonda said...

Oops, I meant without generators. But knowing there's another source brings some sort of comfort too.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Hasn't it been a full week! I am glad there is a stillness in knowing He is God. I found that again, too this week. I am so grateful for so many things. I know it is so bad for many, and I am mindful of them, but we have enjoyed a different lifestyle the last few days--hard work, early to bed, friendly neighbors, people helping people, less distractions. I love your picture and listened to the cicadas last evening for hours. I prefer generators. :) I am glad your birds are faring well and you found the peace in the stillness of His continual care. Love, Annette

Steph said...

glad you and your home and family are safe and sound. thanks for sharing about Kathleen. I feel terrible for her. I'll be praying for them. send her my love if you talk to her.

connie said...

I'm glad that you got through the storm ok, I want to thank you for all the prayers, you are all ways in mine...
Connie
GBU

Wendy said...

A wind howling in the night, muted thunder and silent lightening....brings uneasiness.
I am glad it's all over and you and your family survived.

Hearing all the sounds of people working together for a common purpose - repairing and building their homes again, brings a peaceful energy to your neighbourhood. God Bless.....