Friday, September 12, 2008

More on Ike - Updated 7:30p

7:30p update - winds are higher, surprisingly just a few sprinkles. One power surge. I will be unplugging the computer soon. In Galveston, The Balinese Room (famous in TX history) is built on stilts over the Gulf looks like it may collapse, it has survived numerous storms. The 61st Street Pier is gone.

6:40pm - the forecast for my zip code: Sustained winds 75-110 mph winds, 5-10" rain with flooding in poor drainage areas, isolated tornadoes.

5:40pm Skies are very dark, winds are beginning to gust at 35 and 40mph. We have had a few rain drops. Some houses at the coast have water in them from waves not rain. My priest asked me what I thought would happen to my roof, I said I prayed for the roof to stay attached to my house and the shingles to remain attached to my roof. Glory to God, He is so powerful, He can set an army of angels on my roof to keep it attached. I have plead the Blood of Jesus over my house and garage, I have plead it over my trees, if the trees fall, I have prayed for them to be set gently on the ground not on my home or my neighbors homes. Thank you for your prayers! We need them. I am so thankful to you Sisters in Christ.


Skies are grey, the hummingbirds are still chasing each other, I am waiting until the last minute to bring their feeders in, they need food before the storm, they are drinking nectar out of the numerous salvias I have planted in the yard. Winds are gusty, we should receive tropical storm forced winds in an hour or 2, hurricane force winds will begin later tonight, the eye will pass and the winds reverse, this is when the dramatic damage occurs, I will be blogging away as soon as the storm passes and we have electricity. Coastal flooding has occurred already, a large pier in Galveston collapsed a few minutes ago and a popular attraction Moody Gardens is swamped. More later.


Ike seems to have drifted east last night. I think due to the size of Ike, we will still experience bad weather, but we may not have the 100 mph winds now because technically we may be on the dry side of the storm. I am not sure though due to the size of Ike.
If you are in prayer about Ike, please pray he does not strengthen, please pray for the pressure to rise, please pray tornadoes do not form, and pray he keeps moving - we don't want him sitting over an area causing more than the usual 8 to 10 inches of rain in a hurricane to fall.

I have about 30 minutes of outdoor work to do, make sure all the drains in the backyard are free of fallen leaves and potted plants and birdbaths to move into the garage. I did most of it last night.

So we will sit and wait. For my sisters in his path, I continue to pray for our safety. Let me leave you with His words from PS 121:

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD watches over you— the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

8 comments:

Karen said...

One of my favorite Psalms!

I'm praying that Ike passes quickly. (and he can hurry up and pass quickly. It seems like we've been waiting for him forever.)

love,
karen

Abba's Girl said...

There is 1 thing to be said of the olden days, it was a lot less stressful watching a storm 3 days in advance instead of 2 weeks in advance, back then you would take your chicken and meat from the freezer, cook it all and then munch on it along w/ canned goods for a couple of days until power was restored. Now we watch the storms for days and buy non persishables and start munching on them before we lose power...

Kristen said...

Lifting you up in prayer - and that Ike will also weaken as Gustav did. Being from Indiana I know all too well the power of a tornado! Hunker down, batten down the hatches, stay cozy and safe!

The words of the Psalm are repeated in Casting Crowns song Praise You In This Storm! Yes, we will continue praise the Lord, even in the storms of our lives!

Wendy said...

Thank you for keeping us posted. I am glad you are out of the path of the storm.
I will pray for those who may still suffer from Ike.

Abba's Girl said...

I just watched the news, our area will experience 75 to 100 mph winds for several hours beginning tonight. I only have birdfeeders to bring in. Dishes are done. 1 load of laundry left to do. I have flashlights in every room. Coastal flooding, 50 miles south of me has begun.

luvmy4sons said...

Praying for your safety. Keep us posted. Your scriptures are exactly where your thoughts should be! He will hold you!

About Nancy said...

You are in my prayers dear sister. God has His eye on the sparrow, the hummingbird, and you!
In Him,
Nancy

luvmy4sons said...

I have an award for you at my place.