Saturday, September 6, 2008

50 years & Counting

Last night I told my parents I was throwing them a small party for their 50th wedding anniversary at the end of the month. Dad was thrilled because he wanted to do something and is not up to the planning of it, yet. Mom looked shocked, I could see she was trying to come up with an excuse. I told her I already sent a tacky e-mail to tell everyone to expect an invitation for the party which would take place 09/27.

I have reserved the room. I will call the florist Monday to order some flowers and a corsage. My dad requested the corsage, I can remember him saving money in the mid 1960's to buy her a corsage every Easter. He worked on Mother's Day, so they usually celebrated the day before. He preferred Easter off to attend church as a family that day. I will order the cake. probably a 2 tier cake which looks like a wedding cake, thinking white icing with gold accents.

They have been through the in sickness and health bit the last several years. Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but it is Parkinson's and then of course dad had surgery 10/31/07 and then again 01/09/08 and the long hospital stay as well as the multiple stays from June to August. Through it all they love the Lord and love each other which brings me to my point, through it all Jesus loves us, our Heavenly Father loves us.

Our Father loves us so much, He sent His Son to save us. It is so simple, we cannot save ourselves, we cannot be good enough, but through grace we are saved. The Bible tells us:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus

3 comments:

annette said...

Oh, I am so glad they will be celebrating their fiftieth! I can hardly imagine 50 years together, and all that would bring. Mike and I have known each other 30 years this January. It seems like my whole life. You know you and Karen (A Time for Everything) have a lot in common right now with parents celebrating 50 years together in sickness and health. Wishing them joy and good health, and prayers for you taking care of them also. Love, Annette

luvmy4sons said...

How awesome! Congratulations to them. It is hard to imagine it, isn't it? I have been married almost 25 years, and I can't imagine how much more we will have come through together in another 25;there has been so much already. Tt is so wonderful that you are throwing them a party!

Sandee said...

How loving. My parents hit their 50th two years ago. It is hard seeing them get older and have the health concerns. Your blog could have been mine. (Except I didn't throw a party.)

I read on Beth's blog about your layoff. Praying God's plans for you.