Friday, June 20, 2008

Calling a Spade a Spade

I have whined to my husband and cracked jokes about being overweight and no longer enjoying exercise. As I have done the 1st 3 days of No other gods homework, I have decided in my case I must call a spade a spade…not only is food an idol because I eat when I am bored and when I am stressed instead of turning to our Lord, it oppresses me. I feel crummy because I weigh too much. If I were at the correct weight for my age and height, I would feel better. In letting food become an idol, I am also guilty of gluttony. (Not a word we hear much these days.) As I sit around in a lazy way blaming it on the heat, etc I am also guilty of sloth. (Another word we hear infrequently.)

I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings; I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I am talking about me. Sure I had a season for several months this year, in which I sat for hours at a hospital and ate from a vending machine or cafeteria, but I could have squeezed a little exercise into my day. Food choices would not have been as easy; I did little grocery shopping at the time, but when people offered to bring meals instead of saying no, I could have asked for salads and fruit. I didn’t take any help which was offered.

I think if I am honest with myself and call it what it is, I will be delivered from the oppression I have allowed into my life more quickly than if I pussyfoot around and dance around the idol. I must not go through life in my own strength but must depend on the Lord and His strength. My friend Sandy (of Sweet Tart and O J’s Beauty Lotion fame) sent me this verse in an e-mail today, and it so applies: Proverbs 18:10 The name of the Lord is a tower of strength. The righteous run to it and are safe. The following verses build me up and edify me, I hope they do you as well:

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

This is the one who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth.

I have repented…may have to repent again, but I know I am forgiven. The sin is under the Blood of the Lamb!

10 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

It is such a weight lifted to know that we stand forgiven. It is such a glory to know that we have the victory even if we are still in the battle daily. I doubt very much if you are alone in yur gluttony and slovenliness! I had to radically change my life because of multiple auto immune diseases that incapacitatated me and had me on the way to being a narcotic addict. It was a difficult journey but I have been daily exercising 1/2 an hour a day, 6 days a week for a stretch of over five years now. I eat primarily raw fruits and veggies BUT I still turn to food when I should turn to the Lord. I STILL get slovenly and lazy as a means of retreating from the daily battles that I could face if I sought solace in the One Who has already won the war for me! Hugs to you!

MITZI said...

I'm with you sister. I FEEL every word you've written. I too battle weight everyday. I like what you said "skirt around the issue." I do the same thing. I'm doing No Other Gods too and weight isn't my only issue. This study seems to bring out so many other issues besides the weight, It's like where do I begin Lord? So much to think about and repent for coming from this study. But I believe that's the point. To come clean before the Lord. What victory awaits us! I'll be praying for you dear Siesta.

Abba's Girl said...

Mitzi, When you and I cross the finish line...we will have victory over the idols in our lives.

Annette

Karen said...

This has to be one of the best/uncomfortable studies that I have done in awhile. Although I know that those idols need to be ripped out, I still tend to cringe as they are exposed.

I'm praying for you, girlfriend!
blessings,
karen

Abba's Girl said...

Karen,

I am praying for you, too.

Annette

About Nancy said...

Well good for you girl! Sounds like you are doing some good soul cleansing and heading in the right direction. It always pays to face the truth and hit it head on. With Christ you can conquer anything. You are in my prayers!
Nancy

Cheryl Barker said...

Hi Annette, just stopping by again and noticed the reminder you have on the right hand side of your blog to pray for missionaries. I have a heart for missionaries, too. Thanks for calling attention to them!

annette said...

I haven't heard that expression "calling a spade a spade" except by my mother in ages. I wonder if it is a colloquial phrase or a universal one. I am going to try those fruit bars next time I go to the store! Having something sweet is my downfall. And Thank the Lord He does forgive as we try again to follow Him closer. Gluttony and sloth is a word (or should I say are two words) for me this morning. Blessed Sunday! Love, A(2)

Wendy said...

Oh dear me, I also am guilty of not taking what others offer. I really have to work on that one. People love to give (don't you?) and I almost always say "no".
Oh, and the weight thing - it's such a battle!
Never mind. I think your idea of calling a spade a spade will work. It takes courage to open yourself up as you are doing.....
God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for praying with me this weekend.