Monday, June 9, 2008

But the greatest of these is love.

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. I John 4:9-11

God’s love is not a revelation to Christians, but the lavishness of this love is hard for our finite minds to grasp. The Bible has a lot to say about love. Here are a few verses:

Eph 5:1-3 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

PS 32:10 Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him.

Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

We are surrounded by His love, isn’t that amazing! I rarely think about it, but I should. When I was young I watched a show that was truly awful, though I loved it – Lost in Space. Sometimes they used an invisible force field to surround the space ship and protect them. When I was young, I thought God’s love is my force field. Of course now, I know His love is much better than something from Lost in Space. We are covered in His love, He envelops us with His love.
Be a vessel of love today, you never know how that love may bring a new believer into the Kingdom, bless someone who really needs a blessing or cause someone to rededicate their live to the Lord.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

4 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

We can love because He first loved us! Words of wisdom here!

Karen said...

Some days I want to be a vessel of love "tomorrow." :) But I realize I am called to represent Him each and every day no matter what I feel like doing.

May your day be blessed!

Wendy said...

What a beautiful post - and so timely! I caught myself wanting to call someone an idiot because he cut in front of me this afternoon, in my car. I usually just ignore people who do that. Why should it anger me?
But today, it did. Then I caught myself immediately and sent that person love. Who knows? Maybe he didn't really intend to cut me off. Maybe he was thinking about getting home to his family. Maybe he misjudged his distance. It really doesn't matter.
I feel much better inside for sending this stranger love, instead of anger.
Thanks for this post and your comments on my blog.

Abba's Girl said...

I have a friend, Norma Dearing who teaches at healing conferences, she mentioned while teaching some people are bad drivers, some people are inconsiderate...but some received a phone call their child is injured, their spouse is in the ER...or worse yet they are trying to make it to the hospital before a loved one goes to heaven...in any case, they all need prayer...that really changed my attitude when I am cut off in traffic...